Wednesday, June 1, 2011

But wait, there's more!

Hehe. My art history professor always used to say that.
I just wanted to share with the world my love of checking out movies from the library. Last week I watched Sicko and Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1954). This week I am going to watch Before Sunrise and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. In the words of the immortal Rebecca Black, we so excited.
Plus, checking items out from your local library means more circulation, which means more funding, which means better resources for the library and therefore for the community. Support your local library! It's free! Well, technically, you pay for it with your tax dollars, but let's face it - there are a lot of much worse things your tax dollars are supporting.
I also figured out another way you can read for free, but the catch is you have to be a fast reader. Basically, if you have three or four hours to kill, you can go to a bookstore, pick out your novel of choice, sit in one of their cushy armchairs, read it all in one sitting, then put it back on the shelf. I'm working my way through The Hunger Games trilogy this way. I feel a little bad for not supporting the author and the store and basically stealing the content of the book to store in my brain, but oh well. It's their fault for not releasing the paperback version sooner. I don't have $25 to spend on a book I'm going to finish within 8 hours of purchasing, and then it will just take up space on my shelf with its almighty hard-bound cover.
This is where everyone is going to tell me I should just suck it up and get a Kindle. Well, I don't like Kindles. They're the reason print is dying, and I don't want print to die. Print is going to turn into a lost art, like writing letters or tuning in your CB radio.
I am smiling because I'm thinking about the time an elderly black gentleman called out to me, "Hey, lady - you hot!" That will never stop making me smile.