Thursday, January 27, 2011

How Now, Brown Cow?

Dear Internet,
Today for most of the day I had a migraine, which sucked. So I took Tylenol, ibuprofen, and aspirin all at the same time to see if one of them would work. At least one of them did, or at least it took the edge off enough so I could function at work. Is this safe? Probably not. But damnit, I was able to make it to the end of the work day.
After a nice bubble bath, I trekked to Santa Rosa so Serg and I could draw at Aroma Roasters'. I don't know what it is about that place; maybe it's the ambiance, or the music, or the really killer chai milkshakes. Whatever it is, I always seem to get a lot accomplished there. (Also, it's where Sergio and I had our first date. :) )

This is what I came up with tonight.
The scanner kind of crapped out towards the bottom there, but in case you couldn't guess the entire thing was done in green Micron. (I went to Aaron Brothers last night and made out like a bandit in their clearance pen section.) I just started drawing mouths, and then all the other stuff around them. I guess the mouths symbolize how everyone talks and talks, but no one really listens. I don't know what the hands represent. I didn't really think that far ahead.
It is also worth noting that this is the very first page in my brand new sketchbook (also courtesy of Aaron Brothers. If you buy two Canson sketchbooks, you get a $2 mail-in rebate! Woot!) Traditionally the first page of any sketchbook is the hardest one for me to fill; all those blank white limitless pages are both intoxicating and overwhelming.  But I feel encouraged by the way I completely filled up my last one (seriously, there is not a single blank page left) so I approach the new sketchbook with an unhampered optimism. New year, new pages!
Aaaand Serg is playing with his iPod, which means I must go.
Thanks for listening, Internet. I will see you tomorrow.
Love,
Amanda

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Creeps me out, but I kinda of love it! Idle hands, and mouths without ears. We certainly are a world of talkers, not doers...

Anonymous said...

Odd and enchanting.